What is ECFA?
Founded in 1979, ECFA is comprised of over 1,300 evangelical Christian organizations, which qualify for tax-exempt, nonprofit status and receive tax-deductible contributions to support their work. ECFA’s steadfast purpose is to articulate, maintain, manifest, and enforce a code of financial accountability, ethics and reporting which is consistent with enlightened and responsible Christian faith and practice.
Earning approval by ECFA, the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, entitles an organization to display the ECFA seal in promotional materials and appeals. The ECFA seal is tangible evidence to donors that a ministry is complying with the highest standards of Christian ethics in its governance, fund-raising and financial accounting and reporting.
Good Charities Willingly Answer Tough Questions
Before you give to any charity, ask these questions. Worthy nonprofit organizations recognize they are recipients of the public trust, and are willing and prepared to supply the answers.
- Does the organization have a clear and strong commitment to a certain mission objective?
- Is there an independent board that oversees the organization’s operations and accepts responsibility for the activities of the organization?
- Are the organization’s financial records audited annually by independent certified public accounts?
- Does the organization practice financial disclosure?
- Can anyone receive a copy of the organization’s most recent audited financial statements upon written request?
- Can donors obtain financial and other information about any program they have supported?
- How does the organization avoid conflicts of interest?
- What are the guidelines and standards for fund-raising?
- Is there a review procedure to assure compliance with fund-raising standards and guidelines?
Call 540/535-0103 or toll-free 1-800-323-9473. Visit the ECFA website: www.ECFA.org Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability 440 West Jubal Early Drive, Suite 130 Winchester, VA 2261
Call 540/535-0103 or toll-free 1-800-323-9473.
Visit the ECFA website: www.ECFA.org
Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability
440 West Jubal Early Drive, Suite 130
Winchester, VA 2261