Sixteen years ago Marilyn and I began to write Kids Think and Believe Too! To help kids understand that they are not an accident of evolution, but are here because of an awesome God. The evidence for a Creator is everywhere and really cannot be numbered!
“Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done,,,,, they are more than can be numbered.”
Psalm 40:5 a & c
Here are just a few of the wonderful works that God has made:
– The human brain is capable of doing 10 quadrillion (10 million billion) calculations per second…that is 100 times faster than the world’s fastest computer (which can do 100 trillion calculations per second)!
– The human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells. That is 20 times as many cells as there are people in the world!
– The English spittlebug can jump 27.5 inches straight into the air. That is 117 times its body length. This would be the same as a man jumping over a 70-story building!
– Spider silk, by weight, is stronger than steel! One ounce of the silk that forms a spider’s web could stretch 2,000 miles!
– Caterpillars have over four thousand muscles, while we only have 639!
– The mother Mexican Free-Tailed Bat can find her own baby in as little as 12 seconds!
– Some dragonflies have up to twenty thousand lenses in each eye!
– A horse’s heart is able to pump about 50 gallons of blood per minute. That’s enough to fill the gas tank on a pickup truck three times faster than a gas pump!
– The feet of the gecko are so sticky they can hold onto a ceiling upside down – from a single toe!
– If an antelope starts to eat the acacia tree of Africa, within 15 minutes the tree begins to make a bad tasting chemical called tannin k. It also gives off a scent that other acacia trees smell. Soon, they begin to make tannin k to protect themselves!
– An adult of the smallest humming bird species in the world weights less than a penny.
– It is estimated that there are over 1 billion stars in our galaxy, and over 1 million galaxies in the universe! God made over a million times a billion stars!
– The African elephant’s ears weigh more than 100 pounds each.
– Barnacles can stick to ship bottoms, sea turtles, rocks, and wood by making the strongest glue on earth. It even works underwater!
– The heart of a giraffe weighs 25 pounds, is two feet long, and has walls 3 inches thick.
– The Amazon leaf fish acts like a leaf floating in the water to get close to its prey!
God has many so many amazing things – that never could have happened by chance and accident. From the smallest to the biggest, the slowest to the fastest, everything in the universe shows that there is a Creator!
For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.
1 Cor. 10:26
Originally Published in the May/June 2005 Kids Think and Believe Too!