This past Sunday, my youngest grandchild was dedicated to the Lord at her parent’s church. This dedication really had not so much to do with our granddaughter; rather it was a time of celebration … an opportunity and a privilege for the parents, family, and church family to commit to do something, not just for the children, but for the parents as well.
The parents (and grandparents!) were challenged to make a commitment:
- To lifting up their children/grandchildren in prayer every single day.
- To walk with God in such a way, that when they see us, they see the path they are supposed to take.
- To lift up our children/grandchildren, allowing them to grow into the man/woman God wants them to be, showing them the ways of God all along the way.
- To make an early commitment to follow through with raising children and being part of a process of leading them to a place where they will make a decision for Christ.
The church family was also challenged:
- To set a Christian example of what it means to walk and live for Christ.
- To pray for the parents.
- To help as needed.
- To walk with them as they set an example to their family.
Oh Lord, I pray that we might be shining examples and not stumbling blocks …not only to our families, but to all those we meet.